What to expect in an emergency:
What to do during a school emergency
In an emergency situation, your first reaction may be to call or come to the school. While that is a natural response, it may interfere with emergency agencies that are dealing with the situation. We ask that instead of going to the school, you rely on district emergency resources for information:
- Website Alerts
- Follow @RedmondSchools on Facebook
- Emergency phone messages
- Local TV and radio stations
What type of emergencies might impact my child’s school?
All emergencies impact schools, including local and national events. Here are some examples of emergencies and the actions a school may take in response:
- Severe weather – may result in early dismissal, late start, cancelled school, or shelter-in-place
- Missing person or student – may result in a lockdown
- Fire – may result in evacuation or shelter-in-place, depending on location and severity
- Weapons – may result in an evacuation or a lockdown
- Bomb Threat – may result in an evacuation
- Chemical/Hazmat/Biological Materials – may result in an evacuation or shelter-in-place, depending on the location and type of incident
- Intruder – may result in a lockdown or evacuation, depending on the circumstances
During an emergency situation, school officials must act quickly to secure schools, safeguard students and staff, and communicate promptly. Parents can help by being prepared before an emergency happens. Here are a few critical things you can do:
- Give schools accurate contact information
- Talk to your children about what to do, reinforce the importance of following instructions, and assure them that you will be able to find them after the emergency
- Provide names and contact information for people authorized to pick up your children
- Notify school officials if you see a dangerous or suspicious situation at school
- If your child is on medication, be sure the school has at least a 1-2 day supply
Redmond School District follows the standard response protocols laid out by the I Love U Guys Foundation.
- Lockdown secures the building and safely shelters all students, staff, and visitors inside the school building.
- Secure is a modification of a lockdown which keeps students in the school, prevents entrance into the school, and allows the school day to continue within the building.
- Evacuation requires students, staff, and visitors to exit an unsafe school building.
Want to know more about the protocols?
It is understandable that parents will want to get in touch with their children in the event of an emergency. However, calling your child’s cell phone may prevent them from hearing important, even life-saving information. Students will be able to use cell phones if they need immediate assistance and once they are safe. Please avoid calling the school during an emergency – the school staff will be dealing with the situation and may not be available to answer the phone. Parents should use district emergency channels to get information during an emergency.
Finding your child after an emergency
Parents will be informed through district emergency channels when and where to be reunited with their children.
Redmond School District | 145 SE Salmon Drive. | Redmond, OR | 97756 | P: 541.923.5437
Notice of Non-Discrimination
Redmond School District is committed to equal opportunity and non-discrimination in all of its educational and employment activities.
The District does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, religion, disability or age in its programs and activities and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups.
The following individuals have been designated to handle inquiries regarding non-discrimination:
District 504 Contact:
Tami Nakamura, Executive Director of Student Services | Email | (541) 923-8258
District Title VI, Title IX, Age Discrimination & American Disabilities Act Contact:
Kelly Hicks, Director of Human Resources | Email | (541) 923-8922
Heather Petersen, Assistant Director of Human Resources/DEI Specialist | Email | (541) 923-8924