Dual Language Program
Why Dual Language?
Why Dual Language?
WHAT IS A DUAL LANGUAGE PROGRAM?
A Dual Language (DL) program is a bilingual educational model where students are taught literacy and content in two languages. DL programs are designed to increase academic achievement, biliteracy, bilingualism, and cross-cultural understanding. The structure of DL programs varies, but they all provide at least 50% of the instruction in the partner language.
ARE DUAL LANGUAGE PROGRAMS SUCCESSFUL?
Dual Language programs are based on decades of research that show learning academic content through two languages has positive effects on students achievement in school. This research also shows that DL programs help reduce achievement gaps and promote educational equity.
The research-based benefits of DL programs include:
- Students become bilingual, biliterate and develop cultural competency to succeed in a global society.
- DL students tend to outperform their non-dual language peers on academic achievement tests in English by or during their middle school years.
- Historically underserved students, especially English learners, attain greater academic success when they participate in a DL program.
- People who are bilingual demonstrate greater cognitive flexibility, increased attention control, better memory, superior problem solving skills, and an enhanced understanding of their first language.
- DL students are ready to fill positions in the growing local and global multilingual workforce.
To learn more about the research supporting DL programs check out:
Notice of Non-Discrimination
Redmond School District is committed to equal opportunity and non-discrimination in all of its educational and employment activities.
The District does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, religion, disability, marital status or age in its programs and activities.
The following individuals have been designated to handle inquiries regarding non-discrimination:
District 504 Contact:
Tami Nakamura, Director of Student Support | Email | (541) 923-8258
District Title VI, Title IX, Age Discrimination & American Disabilities Act Contact:
Kelly Hicks, Director of Human Resources | Email | (541) 923-8922
Heather Petersen, Assistant Director of Human Resources/DEI Specialist | Email | (541) 923-8924
Redmond School District | 145 SE Salmon Drive. | Redmond, OR | 97756 | P: 541.923.5437